Friday, December 24, 2010

A Hard Lesson Learned in 2010

I learned a hard lesson in 2010 on my journey to become a better photographer. During a period of several consecutive months, I had three former models (and consequently former friends) all contact me and 'demand' I remove all of their photo's from my various online portfolios.  Sadly, one of these women was not only one of my closest and dearest friends, but also the person I considered to be my muse.  The reasoning for the change of heart was varied an included; possessive boyfriend's, changes in morality, and believe it or not, even Jesus was a reason given.  In all three of these instances, the women involved failed to recognize the time, effort, passion and expense that was put into these collaborative works.  If I am not able to use them due to their sudden change of heart on the matter, I am forced to bare both the emotional and economic expense of wasted time and effort.  And I bare these costs alone.  I feel there was also a failure on the part of the models to understand that they are the subject matter of the work of art, but that does not entitle them to dictate to me as the artist what I do with each piece, especially when there was an agreement and understanding by all parties prior to each shoot.  If I were creating a sculpture or a painting based on a posed model, would they still feel they had the right to make the same demands?

I suppose it's fair to say that I am partially responsible for my own troubles. Working with inexperienced models can be problematic. Especially if they are younger and haven't had the foresight to see how modelling may affect them in the future. And working with models who generally are only involved for the ego boost, but aren't serious about modelling, about promoting themselves or about promoting me as the photographer. I've also never been a big fan of release forms. To me there's something intrinsically negative about starting off an artistic endeavour with someone by handing them a legal document. I realize that things like this are just part of the bigger world we live in, and that I have to protect my own interests. Or at least... I realize this now, in hind sight. It's unfortunate that the good natured trust I once began each of these new creative relationships with, has now been replaced by a consent form and a signature. 

The summer was painfully slow and relatively unproductive creatively. I miss the relationship, comfort level, trust, and companionship that I shared with my muse. In short, I miss my friend.  As I entered into the Autumn months, I had the opportunity to work with a few great new models and broaden my talent pool a little further.  As an entirely self taught photographer, I spent a great deal of time reading and teaching myself the craft both technically and creatively.  I find it interesting that there was never any mention about the roller coaster ride of ups and downs that would follow in this strange art form.  I have made a conscious choice to work with people as a subject matter and even more precisely, to work almost exclusively with female models.  I've often had a hard time understanding how many photographers choose plants or wildlife or landscapes as their preferred subject matter.  To me the female form is an never ending source of beauty and inspiration.  But I suppose it's also fair to say that a plant will never stab you in the back, wildlife won't accuse you of being a pervert, and a landscape will never not show up for a shoot.  Despite all of that, I will still choose to ride the roller coaster.  I love what I do and that's enough for me.


Looking forward to 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment