Monday, December 27, 2010

Save it for Facebook

Every once in awhile, I come across a model portfolio on sites like DeviantArt.com or ModelMayhem who are including personal photos of things like their kids, or their dog/cat. This boggles my mind. Not to sound harsh, but I don't care how cute you think your kids are or what your trendy little chihuahua looks like in his new Christmas sweater. Post that stuff on Facebook or open a flickr account and invite your friends and family to view them there. These online portfolios are supposed to help generate interest in people working with you as a model.  It's a way to sell yourself and showcase your talents and your aesthetic.  As a photographer, if I am researching you as a perspective model and I see photos of your kids on your profile, it makes me think you are not serious about modelling and that you don't have a solid grasp of what the industry is about.  It's great that you love your kids or your dog and that you're proud of the photos, but it does absolutely nothing to exhibit your talents or assets.  It's called a portfolio, not a family photo album.
     

No comments:

Post a Comment